Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Thor

Once in a while you find yourself in an odd situation. You get into it by degrees and in the most natural way but, when you are right in the midst of it, you are suddenly astonished and ask yourself how in the world it all came about.
-The opening lines to the book, "Kon-Tiki," by Thor Heyerdahl.

Several days ago Jamie returned from a bicycle adventure to the Fresno downtown library. While there, she purchased a well worn copy of "Kon-Tiki" which she proudly presented to me. When I was a young lad of perhaps 11 years, I checked out this same book from the library (perhaps it was even this very copy) and read it over and over. I loved it, for many years it was my favorite book, though I haven't thought about it for at least 3 decades. When I read it so very long ago I doubt that I paid much attention to the opening paragraph. This time though, those now familiar words reveal a new truth, a truth that had little importance to an otherwise fascinated 11 year old. Reading scripture is like that too, I think that God intended it to be.

BTW, Incredible wife that would intuitively pick that particular book out for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dakota House said...

Once upon a time Thor, who was the god of thunder, recovered his stolen hammer from a giant.

I thought you might like that since you hate it when your tools are missing.....

ILYATT

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Electronics17 flat panel display Breast augmentation aa facelift acupressure betting sports gambling

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home